Psychological Testing and Assessment Services:
As a trained and former Kindergarten teacher, Dr. Mario Baum is comfortable working with children; although he focuses primarily on adults, he also offers some assessment services for children ages 6+ years.
Psychological testing and assessment services can be necessary and requested for a variety of reasons, such as:
- IQ/intelligence/areas of strength/gifted and achievement
- Memory, attention, executive and cognitive functions
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Cognitive performance tests for more information on memory, attention, and/or cognitive issues
- Aptitude/achievement and learning disabilities
- Personality issues/concerns
- General mental health assessment (e.g., to receive an accurate mental health diagnosis for further treatment by primary care physicians/psychiatrists)
Please inquire about fees as they may vary depending on the service type requested.
How do psychological testing/assessments work?
It is normal to feel anxious before your very first testing/assessment. Dr. Mario Lehenbauer-Baum tries to make you feel comfortable and he also explains the process in detail when you meet with him for the first time.
- Initial meeting: The first step is to call or email Dr. Baum to set up an initial meeting to request testing/assessment services. In a first meeting, we discuss your issues and why you need an assessment (e.g., referral from counselors or primary care physicians).
- Gathering background information: For some (not all!) assessments, Dr. Baum needs to gather as much background information as possible to explore the history and nature of certain issues (for example, for ADD/ADHD assessments, he will also ask about school performance and feedback from teachers).
- Conducting psychological assessments and tests: Most assessments are done with iPads in a very convenient and even fun way. You (or your child) have one iPad in your hand, and Dr. Mario Baum has another iPad with him. He is able to receive information in real-time, and – in some cases – might be able to get results immediately after the testing. Testing with iPads can be fun for children as well as adults!
- Formal report and concluding session: After gathering all the information that is necessary for conclusions, Dr. Mario Lehenbauer-Baum will write a very thorough formal report. In a final and concluding session, you will receive this report, and the results will be explained and reviewed together with you.
Please note that most thorough assessments and assessment reports take their time and most cannot be done within days!