Psychological Assessments and Testing Services
As a former Kindergarten teacher, Dr. Mario Baum is comfortable working with children; he offers assessments for children ages 6+ years as well as adolescents and adults. Assessment and testing services can be requested and necessary for a variety of reasons, for example:
- to get more information about IQ/intelligence
- testing for memory, attention, executive functions and other cognitive functions,
- cognitive performance tests for adolescents, adults and older adults to get more information about memory, attention, and/or cognitive issues,
- aptitude and learning disabilities,
- information about ADHD/ADD and other mental health issues,
Especially children and younger adolescents can be very anxious and do not know what to expect when they come in for assessment and testing services. Even for some adults, it might feel very uncomfortable if they do not know what to expect. However, there is no reason to be anxious or worried. Dr. Mario Lehenbauer-Baum will explain the surveys and assessments thoroughly; most assessments today are done conveniently with iPads, so it might be even fun for you!
In an initial meeting, Dr. Mario Lehenbauer-Baum will discuss the expected price range with you (including a written report, fees for assessments starts at $ 550; fees are not always covered by your health insurance provider). Please email or call Dr. Mario Lehenbauer-Baum (615-582-8602).
How do assessments work?
- Initial meeting: The first step is to call or email Dr. Baum to set up an initial meeting. He will discuss with you why you need an assessment (e.g., referral from counselors or primary care physicians) and what to expect (length, fees). In many cases, it will be necessary to come in 1 to 3 more times.
- Gathering background information: For some (not all!) assessments, Dr. Baum needs to gather as much background information as possible to explore the history and nature of certain issues (for example, for ADD/ADHD assessments, he will also ask you about school performance and feedback from teachers).
- Conducting psychological assessments and tests: Most assessments are done with iPads in a very convenient and even fun way. You (or your child) have one iPad, and Dr. Mario Baum has another iPad with him. He is able to receive information in real-time, and – in some cases – might be able to get results immediately after the testing. Testing with iPads can be fun for children as well as adults!
- Formal report and concluding session: After gathering all the information that is necessary for conclusions, Dr. Mario Lehenbauer-Baum will write a formal report. In a final and concluding session, you will receive the report, and the results will be reviewed together with you.